10 Facts about hunger
Image courtesy of JAM International.
- Hunger is the world’s #1 health risk. It kills more people than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined.
- One in eight people in the world will go to bed hungry tonight.
- Over 300 million children go to bed hungry every day.
- Every day, almost 16,000 children die from hunger-related causes. That's one child every five seconds.
- Malnutrition is a factor in one third of all under-5 child deaths.
- One out of four children - roughly 146 million - in developing countries is underweight.
- In Africa and Asia, stunting rates are particularly high, at 40 percent and 36 percent respectively.
- More than 90 percent of the developing world’s stunted children live in Africa and Asia.
- Women make up a little over half of the world's population, but they account for over 60 percent of the world’s hungry.
- There are more hungry people in the world than the combined populations of USA, Canada and the European Union.